Food and I have a complicated relationship. I've always had a sensitive system and I've tried countless different approaches to eating to find that sweet spot of homeostasis in my body. It is definitely a work in progress.
I gave up eating red meat and pork when I was a pre-teen for emotional reasons. I have a tough time eating anything cute. I gave up gluten about six years ago and that was life-changing. Last year I gave up alcohol. So there's been a lot of positive progress.
AND...there's still something not quite right. I know this because I have psoriasis and eczema (which I literally can never spell correctly) which are both considered autoimmune conditions by the mainstream medical community, which means that "X" part of my body sort of attacks itself. That has never made sense to me and seems to go against everything we know about evolution and adaptation. Why would my body attack itself FOR NO REASON? It doesn't make any sense.
When you go to most mainstream docs for help with autoimmune ish, they prescribe drugs, lots of drugs. I hate taking Tylenol so as you can imagine, the idea of using prescriptions is very difficult for me. Because of my sensitive system, I inevitably experience any and all side effects of the medication and end up worse off than I was before.
But more than that, what bugs me about most prescriptions is that no one can explain the actual cause of the illness or issue. How can you treat something that you don't understand? Mainstream medicine will tell you that they do NOT know what causes autoimmune conditions. I'm hesitant to take a medication that you give me if you don't know what's causing the issue in the first place. There are so many people online that I'm seeing who are going through topical steroid withdrawal that I just really can't go down that road. I've tried topical steroids and they do help, but being on them for the rest of my life doesn't make sense, and from what I can tell, many people start to experience an increase of symptoms and have to use more and more of the drugs. Eeek!
When my psoriasis flared up recently (flares are a signature of autoimmune conditions), I purchased the book Healing Psoriasis by John Pagano.
The first thing that sold me on this book is that Pagano explains an actual logical theory about the cause of autoimmune disorders: a leaky gut that is releasing toxins into the blood, forcing the skin to attempt to filter out these toxins, resulting in issues like psoriasis and eczema, or a host of other autoimmune issues like rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, etc.
I hear about so many women my age dealing with autoimmune issues lately. It's crazy. Something's got to give.
To treat psoriasis then, you heal the leaky gut with a strict diet, exercise, and complementary therapies that promote positive energy like yoga and meditation. Possible side effects include clear skin, happiness, and lifelong vitality.
So I'm about to embark on this diet. As I mentioned, my body is super sensitive so some of the recommendations in the book (multiple colonics) I'm going to pass on and choose the gentler options instead (regular doses of olive oil). But the biggest part of the regimen that seems to really help patients is to eat alkaline. The diet asks that 80% of your foods be alkaline with the remaining 20% being acidic.
Here's a list of the "Deadly Seven" that I'll be avoiding:
Since I have already given up red meat, refined sugar, smoking, alcohol, and fried foods, I'm really almost there. The big change for me will be nightshades. I probably eat tomatoes every day. Pagano says that many of his psoriatic patients LOVE tomatoes. But I'm okay with this, because if giving up tomatoes helps me feel better, I'm all for it. Fun fact: Tom Brady and Gisele don't eat nightshades either and it seems to be working for them! White potatoes are nightshades and I eat a lot of those frozen bags of fries so that will be a challenge. Sweet potatoes are allowed but in moderation.
Some of my thoughts/feels on what I need to focus on this week:
Namaste friends, Karen